Lupin Apple Cinnamon Cake With Maple Frosting
Recipe created by Jess (@the.gut.project)
This delicious Apple Cinnamon Cake serves 10-12 people.
YOU WILL NEED
For apple mix
400g apples of choice, peeled, cored and cut into 8
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp xylitol or sweetener of choice
1/2 cup water
For cake mix
2 cups MPK wholemeal lupin flour, sifted
1/2 cup tapioca flour, sifted
1/2 cup rice flour, sifted
1/8 cup olive oil
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
5 tbsp xylitol or powdered sweetener of choice
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, whisked
Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp room temp water
For the glaze
6 tbsp pure maple syrup
6 tbsp dairy free spread
NOW WHIP IT UP
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan forced).
- Heat the apples, ground cinnamon, xylitol and water in a pot over the stove. Stir occasionally and cook for 5-10 mins until apples have softened and water mixture has thickened to a gel. Set aside to cool.
- Sift lupin, tapioca and rice flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, xylitol and salt. Stir very gently to combine.
- Add olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, water and freshly whisked eggs to bowl and fold in flour gently with a wooden spoon. This may take a few minutes. It is important to fold gently to achieve a nice cake texture.
- Add cooled apple mixture to cake mix, discarding any remaining liquid in the apples. Stir gently.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper and pour in mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cake has browned and crisped on outside. Use a butter knife to check if the middle has cooked through. The cake should bounce back when touched.
- Allow cake to cool before icing.
- For icing, combine ingredients well into a whipped texture and spread evenly.