If a healthy, nutrient packed lunch is high on your priority list then this is the perfect recipe for you.
Recipe created by Jess from The Gut Project (@the.gut.project)
This recipe makes 4-6 serves.
YOU WILL NEED
375g raw chickpeas (soaked at room temp for minimum 24hrs, uncovered)
1.5 cup MPK flaked lupins
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 brown onion, chopped finely
4 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
3 tbsp sesame seeds
3 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp onion powder
3 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Pink Himalayan salt & black pepper to taste
1/4 tsp baking soda (for soaking chickpeas)
Hummus (to serve)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for baking
NOW WHIP IT UP
- Add raw chickpeas to a bowl and fill with water about 5cm above chickpeas.
- Add 1/4 tsp baking soda to water and stir. Allow to sit at room temp, uncovered.
- After 12 hours, drain and replace chickpea water and allow to sit for a further 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan forced).
- Drain chickpeas, rinse well and pat dry before adding to food processor.
- Add all ingredients to food processor and combine well. This may take a few minutes of combining and pulsing. The mixture should appear like a chunky hummus with small chunks of chickpeas. Mix ingredients well with a spoon to ensure even spread.
- Drizzle olive oil on 2 separate baking trays.
- Using 2 spoons (or hands), separate falafel mix into equal portions and roll into balls, squeezing together to make the balls compact.
- Place falafels on baking trays and drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until browned nicely and crisp on the outside (turning the balls gently with a spatula half way through.
Serving ideas: serve fresh out of the oven with hummus and tabouli.